- If today is your first day of class, please view the blog post from Monday (click on Monday’s date on the calendar on the right) and complete the student information sheet.
- Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions after reviewing the class syllabus.
- Please create your Gmail account if you don’t have one already.
- Complete the enrollment survey by the end of this week.
PART I. Getting to know your classmates
Before we start today’s class, it would be good to have a chance to remember your classmates’ name. Do you remember the keywords that we shared on our first day? Let’s do a short game! The first two people who complete the game will earn a late pass!
LATE PASS POLICY
All students will have at least one opportunity to earn a “late pass”. Late passes can be used to submit an assignment up to 24 hours after the due date with no penalty. One late pass may be used to excuse an absence. If a student has multiple late passes – they cannot be used for multiple absences. Late passes cannot be used for group projects or the final project. Late passes expire on Monday, April 14.
PART II. Understanding our course
Do you remember what this class is about? “It’s about learning to use technology effectively in your own life so that you can (and will) use it effectively in a K-12 classroom.” We’re looking at ways teaching and learning can be supported with technology. Then, what kinds of technology can be used to support teaching and learning?
Here’s a video to get us started:
What are the buzzwords and phrases you should just go ahead and memorize?
- Meaningful Learning with Technology
- Learning, Design, and Technology
- National Educational Technology Standards (NETS)
- Technological, Pedagogical, and Content Knowledge (TPaCK)
- Social Media Identity
- 20% Time
- Project-Based Learning
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Communication and Collaboration
- Creativity and Innovation
Class Activity “Technology-integrated learning”
Please come up with a list of technologies
- Group A. A list of technologies you use everyday
- Group B. A list of technologies you used in K-12
- Group C. A list of technologies you want to use in class
PART III. Reading Assignment
Here is our first reading assignment. This is due on Wednesday, January 15th.
Be prepared to respond to one question in class:
- What was the big idea or takeaway you had from the Meaningful Learning with Technology chapter?
Write one paragraph for each question and send it to email@example.com:
- Please briefly describe the five attributes of meaningful learning.
- Please explain the meaning of “Learning With Technology” as compared to “Learning from Technology.”
- Make sure you have some pictures of yourself on Facebook or bring the pictures on a USB drive that you will want to use on your autobiography page for your web-based portfolio. We will start building your portfolio on Friday.
- If this is your first day of class, be sure to view the blog post from last Monday.
- Create a Gmail account
- Read Chapter One from Howland, J. L., Jonassen,D., & Marra, R.M. (2011). Meaningful learning with technology. (Fourth ed.). Boston, M.A. : Allyn. by next Wednesday (January 15th)